Utsjoki is the northernmost municipality of Finland and Finland’s only municipality with a majority of Sámi population. Utsjoki offers an opportunity to experience modern, everyday Sámi culture: a culture you can live, see, hear, taste and feel. Utsjoki is a place where the traditional Lappish costume is still worn at many festivals and events. In the municipality of Utsjoki, there are three lively villages – Utsjoki, Karigasniemi and Nuorgam. All destinations can be enjoyed year-round. As the northernmost region in Finland, here both the polar night and the midnight sun are the longest, and the Northern Lights are dancing on the sky often.
Travelers tips to Utsjoki
- The only Sámi majority municipality in Finland
- Vast selection of hotels and other accommodation where you can stay in aurora igloos, rooms, apartments and cottages
- Must see sights: Parish huts, Ailigas fell, Sámi bridge, River Teno, Kevo strict nature reserve
- During summer in Utsjoki you can e.g. hike, bike, paddle, SUP-board and fish
- During autumn you can e.g. hike, paddle, pick berries and mushrooms, fish and hunt
- Winters activities are e.g. reindeer safaris, husky safaris, snowmobile safaris, snowshoeing, trips to the Arctic Ocean, skiing and much more