Welcome to our Bushcraft and Survival Skills Day Excursion in Northern Lapland! This immersive experience offers participants a chance to learn essential wilderness skills while exploring the wilderness. Our day begins in Ivalo, where we gather before embarking on a 12-kilometer drive to our wilderness camp location.
Upon arrival, our expert guides will provide hands-on instruction on setting up the perfect campsite. You will learn how to choose a suitable location, pitch a tent, and set up a tarp for shelter. Next, we'll delve into fire-making techniques, exploring the different types of wood, how to cut and prepare it, and the use of resin, bark, tinder iron, flint stone, and tinder fungus to ignite and maintain a fire. Safety and environmental responsibility will be emphasized throughout the session.
Our excursion continues with navigation training, covering the use of maps and compasses as well as natural navigation methods. Participants will learn to interpret signs in nature, such as anthills, tree branches, and stars, to determine direction. We'll also demonstrate how to use mirrors in rescue situations for signaling purposes. Our expert guides will then teach basic knot-tying skills for various situations, including setting up tarps, tents, fishing rods, and mastering the versatile prusik knot.
Finally, we'll venture into the world of fishing, where you'll learn how to catch, handle, and prepare fish using different cooking methods over an open fire. Throughout the day, our knowledgeable instructors will ensure you gain practical, hands-on experience that will equip you with valuable skills for any outdoor adventure.
Our guides are very experienced outdoor people with official wilderness guide degrees. You'll be safe in their professional hands!
We will start at 10:00 from Xwander Basecamp, Ivalontie 12.
Duration of the whole trip is around 6 hours.
We have a complimentary pickup service from Ivalo-Saariselkä region. And supplementary from Inari, Nellim, Kiilopää and Kakslauttanen. Contact us ahead to book a transfer.
Know before you go
- We're spending the whole day outside. Weather might be cold, so please wear warm clothes.
- There's no indoor toilet at the Wilderness Camp, but we do have a traditional Finnish outside toilet
- There's a campfire and a heated tent at the Wilderness camp, and these may be used for warming up when necessary
- The participants will use sharp objects such as axes and knives. We will also work closely with fire. Please be extra careful with these activities. If the participants are physically or mentally restricted, please let us know in advance, so we can assess necessary extra safety measures.
What do I need to bring?
- Bring your camera and or phone!
- Head torch if you have one
- Water to drink
- Tissues for a runny nose
- Snacks, if needed
- Your personal, necessary medication
Booking in advance
Contact the company
Not exactly what you’re looking for? Contact the company for special requests and larger groups!